LED Lighting Tips
Congratulations on making the decision to transition your home from traditional incandescent or halogen lighting to the more cost effective, energy efficient lighting option – LEDs.
LED lights are cost effective because they’re energy efficient – using less energy than incandescent or halogen lights, but providing a brighter, flexable and more robust lighting option. With LED lights and fixtures installed throughout your home, you can easily save up to 90% on your yearly energy costs – to some, that is up to $2000 you get to keep and invest in other home projects.
Cost Comparison between LEDs, CFLs and Incandescent light bulbs
|Light bulb projected lifespan||50,000 hours||10,000 hours||1,200 hours|
|Watts per bulb (equiv. 60 watts)||10||14||60|
|Cost per bulb||$35.95||$3.95||$1.25|
|KWh of electricity used over 50,000 hours||500||700||3000|
|Cost of electricity (@ 0.10per KWh)||$50||$70||$300|
|Bulbs needed for 50k hours of use||1||5||42|
|Equivalent 50k hours bulb expense||$35.95||$19.75||$52.50|
|Total cost for 50k hours||$85.75||$89.75||$352.50|
Energy Savings over 50,000 hours, assuming 25 bulbs per household:
|Total cost for 25 bulbs||$2143.75||$2243.75||$8812.50|
|Savings to household by switching
While LED lighting is the best lighting option on the market, there are some tips you should consider before investing the time and money in converting your home into an LED lighting beacon.
- #1. Because of their design and innovative green lighting technology, LEDs are more costly than their less energy efficient cousins, the halogen and incandescent bulbs. Despite the higher initial investment, you will see quick and substantial returns when you get your monthly energy bill. We suggest that to see quicker returns, you first replace the halogen bulbs you use in higher traffic areas; areas where you use lighting the most. Once you’ve seen the cost difference, you’ll be more comfortable spending the money on more LED bulbs and fixtures.
- #2. LEDs are designed to be low maintenance and are easy to install, which means that if you have bulbs in fixtures that are hard to replace because of where they are located or how they were installed, you should replace these with LEDs first.
- #3. LEDs come in several different color, temperature and brightness options. For replacing lighting indoors, we recommend Warm White (2500 to 4000k temperature) which provides warmth in lighting for the right cozy atmosphere. For outdoor lighting replacement, we recommend Cool White (5000 to 7000k temperature) which is brighter and better for seeing objects and people in the dark.
- #4. LED lighting can be unidirectional which means that it is perfect for installation and use in areas where you perform daily tasks, such as bathrooms and kitchens. We recommend using LED strip lights under overhanging kitchen cupboards to provide brilliant light for when you’re preparing meals or deep cleaning.
- #5. LED lighting is perfect for holiday lighting or everyday decorative lighting. With color choices spanning from bright white to amber, you can choose the tone and mood of your home simply by switching on the lights.
- #6. The design of LED lights makes them perfect replacement lights for use in children’s rooms. They are brighter, cooler to the touch, are made from non toxic materials, and are difficult to break which means you never have to worry about burns, blow outs, toxins or shattered glass near your precious little ones.
- #7. LED lighting is perfect for installation in track lights or spot lights. Their use as directional lighting is great for displaying important decorative pieces and providing brilliant light right where it’s needed. If you prefer your LEDs to disperse light, you can purchase and install any of our high quality LED globe lights.
- #8. One of the greatest innovations in LED lighting is their design to operate at much lower temperatures that halogen lights. Their design includes the use of metal prongs that act as heat sinks, drawing the heat away from the bulb itself and safely disbursing it into the air – this leaves the bulb cool to the touch.
If you’d like to learn more tips and advice on how to install, maintain, and improve your home or commercial LED lighting, please don’t hesitate to contact us or visit our FAQs section. At Lampetia.us we are always looking for ways to help our customers make the right lighting decisions.